HomeLifestyle FashionExperts consider why liquid nitrogen should be banned in restaurants | ...
charm liquid nitrogen Culinary arts lie in the ability to create visually striking and dramatic food presentations. From instant ice creams to smoky cocktails, their applications in molecular gastronomy have become a trend. However, the dangers of liquid nitrogen far outweigh its benefits, making a strong case for banning its use in restaurants.

One such case came to light recently in Bengaluru, where a 12-year-old girl developed a hole in her stomach after eating liquid nitrogen Paan.

The woman, who was hospitalized with a complaint of stomach ache, was examined and a 4×5 cm hole was found in her abdomen and she underwent a complicated surgery. During the surgery, the infected part of the girl’s stomach was removed. He is currently in good health after being discharged from the hospital. Seeing this liquid nitrogen case, we voiced concerns to several experts from various fields, and recent events have highlighted the urgent need for strict regulations. Take a look. Health risks of liquid nitrogen
Nagpur-based dietician Shruti Naidu, who specializes in Lifestyle Disorders and Diabetes Management, highlights the significant health risks associated with liquid nitrogen. “Direct consumption can cause severe burns and internal injuries, requiring complete evaporation before ingestion. Additionally, inhaling the gas can lead to breathing difficulties and even suffocation.” Naidu explains: “Improper handling during food preparation can cause cryogenic burns or injuries, and food that does not thaw adequately poses a risk of internal damage. Consuming products processed with liquid nitrogen, such as some frozen desserts or cocktails, can cause frostbite and internal burns in the mouth, esophagus, and stomach upon contact with the skin or mouth. These items provide minimal nutritional benefit and can disrupt the digestive system, potentially reducing nutrient absorption.

Eashan Kaul, Corporate Chief of Fraterniti Foods Pvt Ltd, also raises concerns about improper storage and handling of liquid nitrogen. “Using inappropriate containers, such as cheap metal pots instead of teapots, can cause spillage and related problems. Moreover, the lack of appropriate equipment such as gloves and protective glasses, combined with insufficient knowledge of use, can lead to accidents.” Kaul also states that small kitchen areas or high-temperature production areas may have flammable properties, which can lead to a fire hazard. He also says, “Consumption of liquid nitrogen foods It warns that “it can cause stomach ulcers and some studies show traces of carcinogenic properties in such foods.”

Pharmacist-turned-life coach Sidhharrth S Kumaar describes liquid nitrogen in restaurants as a double-edged sword. This not only puts the person consuming it at risk, but also compromises the safety of the entire restaurant, its employees, and the surrounding area. He explains: “Personal anecdotes of people seeking emotional rejuvenation after witnessing events involving liquid nitrogen. Kumaar emphasizes that liquid nitrogen is extremely cold and requires special handling and storage by trained personnel. “Any misuse could lead to explosions or tragedies, potentially resulting in a public disaster on the scale of the Bhopal Gas Tragedy.”

Expert opinions on the ban
Vidushi Sharma, chef-owner of Mensho Tokyo in Delhi, criticizes the trend of using liquid nitrogen as a gimmick in restaurants. He believes that the risks far outweigh the benefits and that restaurants should focus on delivering high-quality food and flavors without resorting to such dangerous practices. In his words, “Proper training and precautions are often ignored in many organizations, putting customers’ lives at risk.”

Shriya Nayak, owner of Mamba Restobar, believes that the use of liquid nitrogen in food preparation poses significant risks that outweigh its benefits. He acknowledges his role in creating visually impressive presentations but emphasizes the importance of customer safety. Nayak supports measures to ban its use in restaurants to prevent accidents and promote safer dining experiences.

Your paragraph text (4)

Offering a medical perspective on the subject, “Dr. “Liquid nitrogen can cause serious and potentially irreversible damage to the mouth, esophagus and stomach, especially in children,” says Shruthi Badarinath Pranav, Consultant Pediatric and Pediatric Gastroenterology at Sparsh Hospital, RR Nagar, Bengaluru. “Children are more vulnerable to these risks because their tissues are more sensitive and they may not recognize the dangers,” notes Pranav. He also cites the risks of frostbite and respiratory problems from breathing nitrogen vapors and advocates for stricter compliance with these rules and reconsideration of their use in restaurants.
Sadaqath Ali, Facilities Manager at Byg Ventures, addresses the risks of using liquid nitrogen in brewery operations. Recognizing the benefits of liquid nitrogen, Ali insists on “the need for strict regulations, comprehensive training and appropriate use protocols to reduce risks while striking a balance between innovation and safety to ensure the well-being of employees and consumers.”

Impresario Entertainment & Hospitality Pvt. Group Executive Chef Shamsul Wahid shares his insights from a culinary perspective. Ltd says: “Liquid nitrogen, used as a food preparation tool in flash freezing or granita making, is certainly a spear in the chef’s arsenal but should not be used directly for serving and presentation. Chefs need to be well trained on how to use it in the kitchen, but proper precautions need to be taken. We do not use LN2 in any of our kitchens as it is very volatile and requires special handling. And for us, the health and safety of our consumers is paramount. “With more than 60 outlets, including popular brands like SOCIAL, Smoke House Deli, BOSS Burger, Lucknowee and more, we recognize the role we play in our guests’ lives and do everything we can to ensure their experience is safe and memorable.”

Your paragraph text (5)

Udit Bagga, Founder, Zylo by Kakapo, Mehrauli, Delhi, lists several major health and safety concerns regarding liquid nitrogen. Bagga highlights that a person can sustain serious injuries due to skin contact, inhalation hazards, internal damage from ingestion, explosion risks, and lack of regulation and training. defends something liquid nitrogen ban He emphasized that correct information and precautions should be taken to prevent accidents in restaurants due to these risks.

Another restaurateur who supports this ban on liquid nitrogen is Satish Bhatia, Co-Founder of The Appumm House, Noida’s Malabar Coast. He also said: “As a restaurateur, I would like to see both liquid nitrogen and dry ice banned in my restaurants. Because these substances can make food unsafe for customers and cause health and safety problems.” Bhatia recommends banning their use due to the difficulty of handling and training staff. He recommends using gloves and tongs when working with dry ice, and in beverages and beverages to prevent damage to skin and internal organs. He recommends avoiding its use in foods.
Although liquid nitrogen can create visually impressive food presentations, its potential for serious injury, respiratory problems, and other health hazards outweigh its benefits. Strict regulations, comprehensive training, and proper use protocols are essential to ensure the safety of consumers and staff. In many cases, a complete ban on the use of liquid nitrogen in restaurants may be the most effective way to protect public health and promote safer dining experiences.

What do you think about banning liquid nitrogen? Let us know in the comment box.

- Advertisment -